Saturday

The Lacemaker's of Glenmara by Heather Barbieri - Book Review

I have two reasons for reading The Lace Makers of Glenmara, a chick lit novel that I would probably never choose. One, I long to visit Ireland. No ancestors, no stories, it is just one of my bucket list destinations. Two, I am addicted to all things crafty. Wait, I don’t actually complete any crafts, I just read tons of blogs about them and wish everyday that my Delicious bookmarked crafty folder was not mocking me. Chick lit has to be pretty meaty to hold my attention so it was a surprise that I managed to finish The Lace Makers of Glenmara in two evenings.


The premise is simple: jilted girl runs from past, ends up in smalltown Ireland, meets cute boy, makes new friends and heals. The things that make The Lace Makers of Glenmara unique are the setting (old Gaelic village) and the mixing of old-world with new. The author manages to sneak in a few lofty themes, like domestic abuse, dealing with difficult teens and even death, but for the most part the story unfolds in a predictable manner. The characters are somewhat flat and the romance could definitely use some development.

That said, readers looking for a quiet woman’s tale with more attention to setting than detail, could do worse than The Lace Makers of Glenmara.

Genre: Realistic Fiction / Chick Lit. Pages: 288.
Advisory: read from an advanced copy
Publisher: Harper. Date: June 2009.
ISBN-13: 978-0061721557
Buy The Lace Makers of Glenmara Here

Heather Barbieri is half-Irish and a descendant of a lady-in-waiting to Queen Victoria. Though her Irish roots landed in Pennsylvania, Ms. Barbieri lives in Seattle, Washington with her husband and three children. Her first book was titled Snow in July. She is currently working on her third novel. You can read more about her on her website or on her Harper author page.




Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

carolsnotebook said...

I may have to read it, just for the setting.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Swag:

Blog Archive